Monday, August 23, 2010

Lesson Learned

I have been home for a week now and I have tried to consolidate in my mind what I have learned over the last six weeks. I wouldn't be a good teacher if I didn't wrap up the lesson with some self-reflection.

Although China is warming up to western ideas, it is still a communist country where religion/spirituality is not discussed openly. I really did feel a sense of "darkness" whereby people knew "something" was out there, but really couldn't put a finger on it, much less enter into a dialogue about it. Yes, Christianity is certainly not given the same equality in Canada as other ideologies or philosophies; but at least, I can share about Jesus, my friend and Saviour. I really missed not being able to go to church and be among fellow believers. Listening to sermons on the Internet is not the same as rubbing shoulders with other Christians.

I really missed my family--quirks and all! It is so easy to get irritated by the little things and just plain miss out on the big picture.

I have learned how easy it is to take things for granted. I appreciate clean drinking water from the tap. I had to use bottled water all the time, even when brushing my teeth or eating some fruit. I certainly appreciate cold water, with ice--everything I had was room temperature.

I took for granted the amount of resources that I had at my finger tips. Everything is so "easy" here: easy access, easy resources on the Internet (not everything as accessible by Internet due to restrictions made by the Chinese government); easy access to supplies, technology, etc.

Yes, I even took for granted things that I am used to like western toilets!! Although I was not tempted to kiss the throne, a hug for my porcelain fixture did cross my mind.

Another thing that I learned was perspective. For instance, my room, by our standards was very basic. It was adequate to my needs, but certainly not luxurious--from my perspective. However, from the University's perspective it was a 3 star hotel that they were offering to me. After all, the room, which is usually shared by 6 girls in the dormitory was all for me. It had air-conditioning that worked rather than just a fan. I started to look at things through their eyes which in turn, increased my ability for empathy.

Another lesson that I have learned was the ability to feel vulnerable--to be at someone else's mercy because they have what I don't--the ability to communicate. I really saw how frustrating that can be. This is such a prevalent feeling for my beginner students here in Canada. I have intelligent, well-educated people in my class who battle feelings of low self-esteem because there is the inability to communicate. Along with learning a new culture, trying to be observant, my students battle self doubt and questioning their decision to come to Canada in the first place. I can honestly understand what they feel; it is emotionally exhausting work.

I guess this is why I wanted to go to China in the first place. I needed to feel what my students were feeling in order to fully understand and then in turn, be better equipped to help them. You see, teaching for me is not just a job. I see my teaching as an opportunity to encourage my students during a difficult time and giving them the tools that they need in order to live out the dream of having a better life in Canada.

I think I came away from China a different person than when I left Canada. I hope that God continues to uses this experience to increase my awareness for others. I definitely have a better appreciation for missionaries as they have to deal with culture shock, both in the new country and when coming home again.

I want to thank you, dear readers, for following with interest. It has been my pleasure to regale you with tales; to tickle your funny bone; and maybe in part, to vicariously share my experiences with you. I hope that you too, have in some small way, been able to appreciate the small pleasures in life. I thank you for praying for me and keeping me in your thoughts. Honestly, that has been my sustaining power. It is through your prayers that I was able to learn the lessons above; to get along with a complete stranger; to cope with homesickness, strange food and the heat; able to stay healthy throughout the entire time; and to see the humour in strange events.

Thank you for sharing your time with me

No comments:

Post a Comment